WaterAid's film, 'Water for Growth in Africa, AMCOW at 10 years', was screened at start of the week, helping to set the scene for the ministerial discussions across around the conference.
The key messages from the week focused on the following actions for water and sanitation:
- African governments and stakeholders should focus resources to accelerate safe sanitation and hygiene promotion activities leading up to 2015.
- Finance and water ministers urgently need to renew progress on funding commitments.
- Ties between AfricaSan and National Sanitation Action Planning toward Sanitation and Water for All need to be strengthened to affirm commitments and move implementation forward.
- AMCOW should play a constructive role in mobilising ministerial support for national commitments to reduce non-revenue water.
- Water and sanitation performance monitoring systems need to be harmonised at regional, national, and local.