DIY Aquaponics is a sustainable, healthy, organic (this is really up to you) food production system……that combines aquaculture with hydroponics in a system where the plants filter the water of nutrients which sustain the plants and promote a healthy habitat for the fish.
This system will easily provide you with home grown organic food year around.
How Does DIY Aquaponics Work?
- The system is self cleaning which means you don’t have to provide much maintenance.
- The startup costs are not to much and the required electricity to maintain an existing system in very small, keeping expenses very low.
- There are absolutely no weeds because you do not use soil.
- The technical knowledge needed to get started is very low, making it easy to get started.
- It is pretty easy to expand your operation if you’d like to use it to make a little extra money or even turn it into a full time business.
- The area needed to get started is very small. You could set up your system in as little as a 6’ x 6’ space.
Because of the better conditions of a DIY Aquaponics system leading to fewer diseases, your plants getting a constant supply of completely organic fertilizer (from the fish waste) and the lack of nutrient eating weeds, your plants will grow faster than on an average farm.
Fish that do well in DIY Aquaponics systems are:
- Rainbow trout
- Channel Catfish
It is important to note that Tilapia will need warm water, so if you are not in a naturally warm climate year around you will need to purchase a water heater. Although they don’t add a lot of electricity expense, it is an added cost when your starting up.
So in conclusion, Aquaponics with an easy, inexpensive, healthy way to grow your own vegetables and you can eat the fish as well.
Aquaponics Plans, What You Get from David Hawke on Vimeo.