Sunday, February 5, 2012

Randi's Average Water Usage by Randi Nicole Kaplan

After some research into discovering where my current water supply comes from, I discovered that most of my water comes from large distant reservoirs. Growing up in New York I never really looked into where my water supply came from. I did question however so many people could get water in such a tightly populated area. According to NYC Department of Environmental Protection, "Each day, more than 1 billion gallons of clean, fresh water is delivered from large upstate reservoirs- some more than 125 miles from the city- to the taps of nine million customers throughout New York state." (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinking_water/index.shtml) I never realized how much of a process it was to get water just to my own sink. But along with this, a few other environmental issues could be sparked such as pollution.

After discovering where my water supply came from, I determined how much water I used just in one day. The chart included above shows the data I collected and as a result I realized that I use about 96 gallons of water daily! Finally, I spent one day attempting to use just 2 gallons of water to carry on my normal day of bathing and drinking. I knew from the start it would be a challenge based on the date collected above, but I never knew how concentrated I would have to be just to control the amount of water I could use. I felt restricted, unclean, and thirsty! I definitely couldn't do any laundry, I could barely bath my whole body, and by that point there wasn't nearly enough to brush my teeth or have a casual glass of water. This experiment was definitely an eye-opener for me. I always knew that there were times when I was wasting the water when I left the sink running while brushing my teeth, but I never really knew how much and it is shocking. Now knowing the amount of water I use and the process of just getting water to my sink, I have definitely recognized that I need to begin to limit my water use!
http://www.psu.edu/dept/e-education/blogs/geog030/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment